The beginning of the end

Each morning I log onto my FB account to check my On This Day memories.  Usually I laugh at silly things that have been said, but there are also those posts that remind me of things I’d like to forget.

This morning was one of those mornings.  One year ago today, Dallas called an ambulance and was taken to Baptist DeSoto Hospital.  She had been sick for almost a week at a friend’s house.  Really not a friend, but someone who let her sleep there.  She was at the house where she was first introduced to heroin.  I had not talked to her or seen her in a couple of weeks.  This was the first time I had asked her to leave our home due to her using again and stealing.  Some of that tough love which is hard for everyone involved.

My mom and step-dad had gone to house and followed the ambulance to the hospital.  I arrived shortly afterwards with the girls in tow.  Although we had all agreed that keeping no contact with Dallas was in the best interest of us all.  We were trying to let her hit her “rock bottom” in hopes she would want to get clean for good.  I could not just let her lay in the emergency room with her thinking none of us were there to support her.  See, boundaries were and still are very, very hard for me to make and keep.

I will never forget walking back and seeing her for the first time.  She looked like a homeless person.  Just dirty all over.  The nurse had put all of her clothes in one bag, even though it was obvious that the pants and underwear were ruined.  Now her shirt and jacket stunk so badly, it took forever to get them clean again.  I cried and so did she.  Her face was bright red and her fever was already reaching 104.  This is when it got bad.  The nurses just allowed her to lay there in her own mess with a fever reaching dangerous levels.  Little did I know, I would be battling this hospital for many days to come.  We were told there was no infectious disease doctor, because it was the weekend.  We all know doctors get called in for emergencies every day of the week.  They wouldn’t listen when I tried to tell them her history and proceeded to put her in a regular room.  We both knew she was close to being as sick as before and needed more help than they were giving her.

THIS IS THE WAY ADDICTS ARE TREATED ALL OVER THE COUNTRY!  Like they are less of a person because they suffer from a disease.  We never really encountered that during her other 2 stays in Tupelo, but Oxford and Southaven treated her like she was contagious.

As I tell our journey from this day forward, you will soon realize the battles we fought.  Little did either of us know this was truly the beginning of the end of her life.  I wish I had, because there are so many things I would’ve done differently over the next 11 months.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s